Black braided horizontal with black beads

Black braided horizontal with black beads

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Beer!

I owe beer BIG time!!! And this time I'm not hiding it.

One of my goals this year is to get my tandem rating. I recently had the opportunity presented to me to become a tandem instructor. I love videoing and working with students- it's so thrilling to be a part of someone's first freefall experience. I have all of the qualifications to enter the course (except for the medical certificate which I can get no problem): I've had 2 cutaways, my coach rating, over 700 jumps, etc... I have full confidence about being a tandem instructor when it comes to student training, hook up in the plane, exit, freefall, emergency procedures, and the like.

But here's the rub: I can't flare a SETS-400 all the way. If it was a 360 or an Icarus, I'm sure I'd be able to do it. But that is a BIG problem. Now, being in Texas and there's a lot of wind here, so that may not be a huge problem since you don't have to flare all the way in those conditions. However, it isn't always going to be windy. And I HAVE to be able to flare the canopy all the way. I know there are quite a few women tandem masters out there and they have been able to do it~ why not me? I have been working very hard at the gym, strengthening my triceps, pecs, lats, and all that jazz.

I took the instructor examiner for a trial run to see if I could flare the canopy from the back. (He did a thorough briefing, so don't worry that he just threw the rig on my back and off we went.) To my disappointment, I could only flare 2/3s of the way. I did everything else great, but that. He landed for us so I didn't have to risk it.

So I have been thinking a lot about this dilemma lately and this one very important problem holding me back. I decided that I am up for the challenge, and when I DO conquer it, the victory is going to be that much more sweet!

No comments:

Acceptance Mark

I'm in the silver helmet and purple and blue jumpsuit

AFF Course with Jay Stokes